Here’s some interesting reading from around the web, for the weekend. Some of the articles are older, but no less relevant:
*From Firefly and Star Wars, and from Bladerunner to The Matrix. What do these movies have in common? They’re all about the future, and they all have a certain Asian aesthetic. Unfortunately they also have no Asians in them. Hollywood loves seeing an Asian future, as long as there are no actual Asian people in that future. The Chinese population is some 1.3 billion people. People classifying themselves as White make up only 11% of the world’s population and are set to be even less than that in the future as their population continues to decline, yet, there’s no evidence of that in any of the most popular movies about the future.
Hollywood’s “Little” Problem
Toxic Masculinity in Pop Culture
Neo Yokio Review
Writing With Color
*Here’s some basic writing advice, for writing just about any marginalized group, (and eve nsome very common, not so marginalized groups) so you don’t come off looking like a racist twat! Now this is not to say you can do none of these things. Some of them can be done without offense, if you have a damn good reason for doing it. Some of the others…not so much.
Common Micro-aggressions: African Americans and/or
Anonymous said: What are some common micro-aggressions that a black american will regularly have to deal with?
Behold this masterpost of common micro-aggressions towards African Americans and/or people in the African Diaspora, several of which may be applicable to other PoC. Micro-aggressions can be perpetuated by White people as well as fellow Black people and People of Color.
This is just to give a thorough understanding of some of the things a Black person (often in America) deals with. Don’t run forward and jam-pack your Black character with every one of these experiences, though I can say I’ve personally experienced every one of these or know someone who has.
- People excusing blackface.
- Having our grammar and annunciation corrected.
- “I don’t see you as a Black person/ I don’t see colour.”
- Calling Black people ghetto, thugs, rachet, sassy, urban…
- People debating why they should be allowed to say the n-word.
- Then saying the n-word anyway.
- Whispering, spitting, or stumbling over the word “Black” as if it’s a curse.
- Refusing to pronounce your name right, or just calling you by a different name that’s easier.
- Alternatively, “jokingly” calling you a “ghetto” name.
- Constantly mixing up unrelated and not even resembling Black people, because you know.. ‘Black people all look the same’.
- Dismissing our experiences as “just overreacting,” defending the wronging party, or using our plight to talk about one’s own experience (e.g. “well as a gay man i’ve got it rough…”).
- Telling racist jokes and calling you sensitive when you don’t find it funny.
- “______ is the new civil rights movement!” Black folks are still fighting for their rights so…
- Fox news (xD)
- Caricatured depictions of Black people on TV.
- Casting calls for Black people only tailored for “race roles.”
- Media treating white criminals and killers better than Black victims (see these headlines).
- Assuming you only listen to rap/hip-hop/r&b.
- Assuming you love chicken, Kool-aid, and/or smoke weed.
- Assuming you’re good at sports.
- Assuming there’s no father in the picture in Black families.
- Assuming all Black people (see: young girls) have children.
- Calling Black people who don’t conform to one’s image of Blackness, “less black,” acting white or “oreo.”
- Non-Black People mimicking/imitating AAVE.
- People falling into AAVE when talking to Black People.
- “Why don’t Black people speak real English instead of ‘ebonics’?”
- You’re so articulate!”
- “You take advanced classes?!”
- “How did she get into that [prestigious school and/or program]?”
- “They only got x because they’re Black/Affirmative action.”
- Assuming a Black person (usually male) attends college because of a sports scholarship.
- Counselors discouraging Black students to take prestigious coursework, assuming it’s too difficult for them.
- “You’re a credit to your race.”
- “I’m glad you’re not like those other Black people. You’re not ghetto or listen to that rap stuff..”
- Tone policing: dismissing someone’s reaction/argument/etc. because they are too “emotional.” Thinking that we need to be calm in order to be taken seriously.
- Pitting African immigrants against African Americans, especially those coming to America for education, aka “Good Blacks.”
Beauty Standards and Dating
- “You’re pretty for a Black girl.”
- “You’re pretty! Are you mixed?”
- “I don’t usually date/aren’t attracted to Black people.”
- Calling attraction to Black people “jungle fever.”
- People asking you what you are or where you’re really from.
- Referring to Black people or our features as “exotic.”
- Referring to Black people’s skin as chocolate or other foods.
- Saying Black women are ”strong, independent and don’t need no man.“
- Calling Black women ”sassy“ or angry if she shows passion/emotion.
- Referring to white and non-black women as “girls” and “women” while calling Black women “Females.”
- [White] males who apply courtesy to white women (holding doors, giving up seat) but don’t apply the same to Black women.
- Referring to Black women on government assistance as “welfare queens” (While ignoring that white people get more government assistance than Black people in the USA).
- “Black women All woman are beautiful.” (Stop. That. Please.)
- People touching/petting your hair without consent.
- “So is that your real hair? Are those extensions?”
- Calling natural black hair unprofessional.
- White people appropriating Black hair styles (dreads, twists, etc) and being praised as edgy, while it’s “ghetto, unprofessional, and unclean” on our own heads.
- “Do you live in the ghetto?”
- “Can you afford that?”
- “Here are the value prices of this product…”
Racial Profiling + Criminalization:
- Crossing the street to avoid passing Black men/people.
- Following in stores, assuming Black people are stealing.
- Moving aside when we pass, clutching purse, locking doors.
- Asking Black people for I.D. when paying with card (while white people are not asked).
- Being pulled over + arrested at astonishingly higher rates than white people.
For a fuller understanding of micro aggressions and the effects it has on individuals overtime, please see this: “These incidents may appear small…”
~Mods: Colette and Alice
Stereotyping Tropes List (TVTropes)
For an assortment of other related tropes, some not mentioned here, see “Race Tropes” as well as “Prejudice Tropes.” Advice on handling characters that lean towards harmful portrayals can be found in the tropes & stereotypes tags at writingwithcolor.
- Crazy Cultural Comparison
- Culture Equals Costume
- Dirty Foreigner
- Europe Index
- Everyone Looks Sexier If French
- Foreign Queasine
- Foreign Wrestling Heel
- Funny Foreigner
- Hollywood Atlas
- Hollywood Cuisine
- International Showdown By Proxy
- Made In Country X
- Mistaken Nationality
- National Stereotypes
- National Stereotypes North America
- National Stereotypes Asia
- National Stereotypes Western Europe
- National Stereotypes Eastern Europe
- Non-Specifically Foreign
- Phenotype Stereotype
- Quirky Neighbour Country
- Regional Riff
- Savage Piercings
- Stock Foreign Name
- Undisclosed Native
- Angry Black Man
- Magical Negro
- Malcolm Xerox
- Sassy Black Woman
- Scary Black Man
- Uncle Tomfoolery
- The All-American Boy
- America Saves the Day
- America Takes Over the World
- America Wins the War
- Americans Are Cowboys
- Brooklyn Rage
- Minnesota Nice
- Patriotic Fervor
- Southern-Fried Private
- Tipis And Totem Poles
- Wacky Americans Have Wacky Names
- We All Live in America
- All Asians Wear Conical Straw Hats
- Asian Airhead
- Asian and Nerdy
- Asian Drivers
- Asian Rudeness
- Asian Store-Owner
- Dragon Lady
- Dragons Up the Yin Yang
- Identical-Looking Asians
- Inscrutable Oriental
- Interchangeable Asian Cultures
- Mighty Whitey and Mellow Yellow
- Yellow Peril
- Evil Brit
- The Mean Brit
- Quintessential British Gentleman
- Smart People Speak The Queen’s English
- Spot of Tea
- Stiff Upper Lip
- British Stuffiness
- Cheese-Eating Surrender Monkeys
- Everyone Looks Sexier If French
- French Cuisine Is Haughty
- French Jerk
- Gay Paree
- All Germans Are Nazis
- Germanic Depressives
- Germanic Efficiency
- Herr Doktor
- Badass Native
- Braids, Beads and Buckskins
- The Chief’s Daughter
- Hollywood Natives
- Indian Maiden
- Lost Tribe
- Magical Native American
- The Savage Indian
- Tonto Talk
- Native Americans
- Anime Land
- The Idiot from Osaka
- Japanese Politeness
- Japanese Ranguage
- Japanese Tourist
- Japan Takes Over the World
- All Jews Are Ashkenazi
- All Jews Are Cheapskates
- Badass Israeli
- Greedy Jew
- Jewish and Nerdy
- Jews Love to Argue
- Matzo Fever
- Fake Russian
- Glorious Mother Russia
- Husky Russkie
- Mother Russia Makes You Strong
- Russian Guy Suffers Most
- That Russian Squat Dance
- Vodka Drunkenski
*Okay, I had to put this up. This is, hands down, the funniest story I read on the internet all week, and this is next to The 15 Blackest Things About The New Black Panther Trailer , that I posted earlier.
Now while you’re reading this, continue to picture giant koi bloop blooping in a pond. They have no idea they’re the partial cause of all the chaos. They just wanna get fed.
I’m like,”Guys, ain’t nobody thinkin’ about y’all right now!”
The Great Flamingo Uprising
(Edited after additional information was obtained from zookeeping cousin)
I told this story to a few guildies a while back and decided to archive it in a longer format; so here is the story of The Great Flamingo Uprising of 2010 as told to me by my favorite cousin who was a keeper at the time.
In addition to the aviary/jungle exhibit, our zoo has several species of birds that pretty much have the run of the place. They started with a small flock of flamingos and some free-range peacocks that I’m almost certain came from my old piano teacher’s farm. She preferred them to chickens. At some point in time they also acquired a pair of white swans (“hellbirds”) and some ornamental asian duckies to decorate the pond next to the picnic area. Pigeons, crows, assorted ducks and a large number of opportunistic Canada geese moved in on their own.
Now; the ponds that dot the zoo property (I don’t remember how many there are but the one by the picnic area is the only one with swans) were also full of ginormous koi fish, some of whom by now are at least three feet long. Sensing an opportunity to cash in on the koi, the zoo put up little vending machines all over the place that dispense handfuls of food pellets. I swear to god the fish can hear the crank turning, and will show up at the nearest railing, blooping expectantly at whoever happens to be standing there and doing their best to appear starving and desperate.
Like this.^ And they weren’t the only ones who learned to associate the sound with the imminent arrival of food. The Canada geese knew a good deal when they saw one, and had long since ceased to migrate anyway. They formed roving gangs of thug-geese and staked out their turf around the vending machines, ready to mug anyone with pocket change. Picture yourself as a small child squaring off with a bird as big as you are fully prepared to strip search you while standing on your feet and yelling “HWAAAAAKK!!” in your face. It’s deeply traumatizing to you and incredibly hilarious to your parents.
The flamingos had their spot near the zoo entrance and never seemed to mind the presence of the other birds, as they kept themselves to themselves and didn’t really like the taste of fish pellets. The problem lay in that their shrimp pond was close to a vending machine. Ordinarily that wouldn’t have been an issue at all, but eventually the goose population grew large enough that one of the gangs decided to annex it. Being territorial little shits, they would harass the poor flamingos any time they strayed within ten feet of it. The flamingos tolerated this for years until one day they snapped collectively. Here’s a summary of the incident in chronological order.
1.) It was a hot day, so everyone in question both human and avian, were cranky by the time the zoo even opened.
2.) A few flamingos (let’s call them The Jets) strayed into the radius of the vending machine and were immediately confronted by the indignant hissing geese (The Sharks)
3.) Possibly due to heat and the simple fact that the geese had been giant douchebags for far too long, the flamingos decided fuck it, this time they were going to FIGHT BACK DAMMIT, and swarmed the geese en masse.
4.) Chaos ensued. The geese were outnumbered 4 to 1 but had the advantage of being able to scream for back-up.
5.) Hearing the shrieking Canada geese and the bellowing of the enraged flamingos, the peacocks came to the conclusion that the apocalypse had come upon them and began to gather in the surrounding trees in droves and wail in despair. Or cheer them on, whichever.
7.) Apparently one of the siege tactics employed by geese is to shit explosively all over everything.
8.) The geese, having secured reinforcements from all over the zoo, went berserk and proceeded to attack EVERYBODY who had come to watch be they human or otherwise.
9.) The flamingos were chasing/being chased by the geese through the crowd accompanied by cheers/wails from the peacocks in the box seats.
10.) Complete pandemonium when the zoo tram became stalled by the flamingo pond due to battling birds. The Jets, sensing these were somehow reinforcements on the side of the Sharks, charged the tram. Adults were doing the duck and cover. Small children were screaming, adding to the noise. People were slipping on goose shit and hitting the ground in the fetal position, only to be stampeded by the rampaging flamingos.
11.) The koi continued to bloop hopefully for food.
12.) Two of the geese were cornered by a rival gang of their own and were chased into the swan pond. Cue slow-motion.
13.) The swans detected an enemy presence in their territory and by god, SOMEBODY was going to PAY.
14.) The staff were having no luck in breaking up the fight and on the verge of giving up and just building another zoo elsewhere when the hellbirds stormed the battlefield, trumpeting battle-cries, to dispense feathered justice. The staff promptly dropped their brooms and fled.
15.) Birds scattered in all directions. Up, down, sideways. Some people not present in the park circle swear a couple of geese flat out teleported into the petting zoo. A few ducks vanished in the chaos, presumably eaten by the swans.
16.) Two of the zookeepers barricaded themselves in the snack bar and refused to come out.
17.) The uprising was squashed in less than two minutes. Number of casualties was unknown, feathers were flying everywhere and there was enough goose shit to build another bird. One staff member had been knocked to the ground and was left with a melon sized bruise courtesy of one of the hellbirds. Several children were traumatized, probably for life. The zoo eventually removed the vending machine by the flamingos.
The geese went back to being giant douchebags. Because geese*.
Addendum: Somehow, my aunt D got hold of this story and posted a link along with the comment: “This sounds exactly like our zoo!”
Zookeeping cousin replied: “This was exactly our zoo.”
*I’m really not kidding. This is a photo, taken at our zoo, of a gorilla being chased by one of the thug geese.
*Yeah, the hellbirds came in and broke that whole shit up in two minutes!
*I’m in agreement with this, really. It would make for some very intersting names:
I think we should make Puritan naming customs cool again, but like, updated to reflect Millenial values. So we can have names like Resistance Jones, Self-Care Williams, and I-Am-Not-Throwing-Away-My-Shot Anderson.
- I-Will-Face-God-and-Walk-Backwards-Into-Hell Watson
- Hydrate Mather
- Healthcare-Is-A-Right-Not-A-Privilege Bradford
- Body Positivity Watts
- WTF-the-Fuck Preston
- Cinnamon Roll Milton
- Y’all-Need-Jesus Henderson
- Snape-Was-Not-a-Hero Whitaker
- Battery Life Wiggins
- Reblog-If-You-Agree Bolton
- @Horse_ebooks Humphrey
- Renewable Moore
- I-Came-Out-to-Have-a-Good-Time-and-I’m-Honestly-Feeling-So-Attacked-Right-Now Rutherford
- Representation Hopkins
- Organic Hurst
- Money Cat Wallington
- Fuck-It Wentworth
- Impeachment Shepard
- Don’t-Forget-To-Like-And-Subscribe Simpson
- Consent Pimple
- I-Bless-the-Rains-Down-in-Africa Woodford
- Green Hoyle
- Social Anxiety Travers
- Kinkshame-Not Bailey
Tomorrow: A rare weekend posting. I finished the first part of my Bladerunner review.