This doesn’t just apply to fat people, but any group of people for who excuses and debate are demanded for how they live their lives. Race, transgender status, Islamic belief systems, sexual status, this can be applied to any of those.
Sigh… my dear fellow fats, there’s something you all need to know…
You don’t owe anyone jack shit.
No seriously, you don’t. You don’t owe anyone any of the following:
- An excuse for your body/health/size/weight.
- Justification for your existence.
- A “debate” (or argument, whatever they want to call it).
- Justification for your fatness.
- Proof of your “health”.
- Proof of what you eat, or what physical activity you do.
- Apologies for taking up the space your body happens to take up.
- Answers to any of the private information people demand of you.
- Proof that you are “happy”.
- An education into the human rights of fat people.
- Corrections for dodgy science.
- Politeness or respect when they demand any of the above.
Further to Lindy West’s excellent piece in The Guardian this week, where she quite rightfully points out that after having answered the same question publicly for six years, she’s no longer…
View original post 551 more words